This article takes a brief look at what medication management software is, why it’s so important and how to find the ideal platform for you. Let’s go!
What is a medication management software?
Medication management software, also known as eMAR, is a digital tool that helps healthcare professionals manage the stocking, scheduling and delivery of medication tothe people they care for.
Good medication management software can help with general administration, tracking, compliance, ordering and inventory management of medication; and enables care professionals to administer medications in an efficient and safe manner.
Medication management software also is a key part of helping domiciliary care businesses meet Care Quality Commission (CQC) regulations, as it helps keep accurate records of all medicines administered, making it easier for them to track patient progress over time!
Top 6 best medication management software for care businesses
CareMeds is an eMAR platform specifically designed for those in domiciliary care. The system enables carers to manage medication schedules and record administration, and allows managers to monitor care delivery and medication adherence.
- Nourish Care
Nourish Care is an all-in-one care management platform that includes eMAR functionality. With Nourish Care’s eMAR tools, carers can record medication administration and access medication schedules and patient profiles on their mobile devices.
CarePlanner is a cloud-based care management platform that includes an eMAR module. The system enables carers to record medication administration and supports managers in tracking medication adherence and managing medication-related incidents.
Birdie is an all-in-one digital toolkit for homecare businesses, which includes a strong eMAR module. Birdie’s eMAR system enables care providers to record medication administration, and supports managers in quickly managing medication-related incidents. In addition, Birdie's eMAR module provides detailed reports and analytics, enabling managers to monitor medication-related data and identify trends and areas for improvement.
CareForIT is a care management platform that includes an eMAR module. The system enables carers to manage medication schedules and record administration, and allows managers to monitor care delivery and medication adherence.
CareLineLive is a care management platform that includes an eMAR module. The system enables carers to manage medication schedules and record administration, and allows managers to monitor care delivery and medication adherence.
These are just some of the many eMAR platforms available for domiciliary care businesses in the UK. However, like with any major business decision it’s important to do your research and consider your specific needs when selecting an eMAR platform for your business!
How to choose your next medication management software
Choosing the right eMAR platform for your domiciliary care business is a critical decision, as it can significantly impact the efficiency, quality, and safety of your medication management processes - which ultimately affects the brilliant clients you care for.
Here are some key factors to consider when selecting an eMAR platform:
- Compliance: Ensure that the eMAR platform complies with the latest regulations and guidelines from regulatory bodies such as the Care Quality Commission (CQC) and the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA). A good way to confirm this is the case is to look at the NHS Assured Supplier list; these platforms have all gone through rigorous compliance checks to make sure they help users meet standards now and in the future.
- Usability: Consider the user-friendliness and ease-of-use of the eMAR platform, as this can impact the adoption and acceptance of the system by your carers and staff. More modern (developed in the last 10 years) eMAR systems are usually not just more user-friendly and easy to pick up, but will have been built with future-proofing and adaptability in mind.
- Customisable: Look for a platform that can be customised to meet the specific needs and workflows of your domiciliary care business, such as medication schedules, dosages, and medication administration routes. When you’re on a demo with the care platform, it’s important to ask questions related to your care processes, so you can see how the platform will really work for you out in the field.
- Integration: Consider the eMAR platform's ability to integrate with your other care management systems, such as electronic care planning or electronic health records, to streamline and improve the medication management process. The simplest way to resolve this is to look at an all-in-one digital system, that provides care management, rostering and finance alongside eMAR. This means no clunky transferring of data or potential missed alerts!
- Reporting and analytics: Look for a platform that provides comprehensive reporting and analytics capabilities to help you monitor and analyze medication administration data, identify trends, and address issues proactively. This will also be invaluable at CQC or other regulatory body inspections, as you’ll be able to easily manage, source and pull all the information you need.
- Security and data privacy: Ensure that the eMAR platform has robust security measures in place to protect sensitive patient and medication information and comply with data protection regulations. Again, one simple way to achieve this if you’re not a technical person is to look at platforms included on the NHS list of assured suppliers! This means they have gone through rigorous security checks to make sure you won’t have to put up with any unnecessary system downtime or critical data breaches.
- Support and training: Consider the availability and quality of support and training provided by the eMAR platform provider, as this can impact the effectiveness and efficiency of the implementation process and the ongoing use of the system by your carers and staff. Beyond chat support or initial training, one really good ‘green flag’ is if the platform provides tools around change management to help managers get team buy-in for the platform. According to a study by McKinsey & Company, the success rate of digital transformations is 30% higher when employees are fully engaged and committed to the change! That’s why Birdie provides comprehensive change management support as well as platform training, ongoing support and friendly account management.
By considering all of these factors, you can select an eMAR platform that is tailored to the unique needs and requirements of your domiciliary care business.
Finally, check out this video from the amazing team at Ocean Healthcare! They spoke with Birdie on what to look out for in a digital supplier, providing top tips for non-techies...
Want to try Birdie for your business? Hit the demo button below.
We think you’ll love it. However, there’s no obligation to buy, no sales pitch and no commitment.
See if it suits you.
Birdie Ranked Number 6 in the list of Fastest Growing Technology Company in the 2023 Deloitte Technology Fast 50 UK
Birdie ranked number 6 in the 2023 Deloitte UK Technology Fast 50, a ranking of the 50 fastest-growing technology companies in the UK. Rankings are based on percentage revenue growth over the last four years. Birdie grew 5435 per cent during this period.
Integrated Messaging for Care Agencies: What is it and its Benefits
Integrated messaging for care agencies emerges as a game-changer, fostering seamless collaboration and information delivery for care teams. This article unravels the essence of integrated messaging, its workings in the context of care, the compelling reasons behind its adoption, and the substantial benefits it bestows upon care teams. Additionally, a spotlight will be cast on one of the leading care management systems equipped with an integrated messaging tool: Birdie.
Let us show you how birdie can help
You're the expert. You deserve home healthcare technology that motivates your team and helps you grow.