This article looks at what homecare communication tools are, how they can help your domiciliary care business grow, who some of the best providers are and how to choose the right one for you.
What is a homecare communication tool?
A homecare communication tool is a software application or platform designed to help manage smooth communication between care providers, their clients and their family members. These smart tools can make collaboration between healthcare professionals easier, improve client outcomes and ultimately reduce healthcare costs.
Homecare communication tools can include a wide variety of features - such as secure messaging, video conferencing, appointment scheduling, medication reminders, care plan management, and remote monitoring of patient health data. Some platforms may also include unique features such as educational resources and caregiver support.
Examples of homecare communication tools include care management software, mobile apps and online portals. These tools are particularly useful for domiciliary care businesses that provide care at home or in a community setting, as they allow for real-time communication and coordination between all parties involved in the delivery of care.
Top 8 best homecare communication tools
There are a wide range of tools available, some of which are better known than others. Here is a shortlist of the most popular homecare communication tools available in the UK - however it’s important to always do your own research to find the best tool for your specific needs!
As a part of Birdie’s all-in-one platform for care management, they provide a range of communication tools for care providers, including real-time updates, care notes and care plan collaboration between care managers and care professionals. These tools enable care staff to securely communicate, and ensure that everyone involved in the care of a particular client is up to date with the latest information. Additionally, Birdie's family app allows family members to access key information about their loved one's care, improving transparency between care staff and family members and building trust.
OnCare provides tools such as messaging, care notes, and task delegation as a part of their communication tool set for care providers. These tools enable care teams to share information about residents, and delegate tasks to other members of the care team among other benefits.
Care Line Live offers a number of communication tools for care providers, including care notes and a family portal. This helps teams record care notes, and provide updates to family members about their loved one's care. The family portal allows family members to access information about their loved one's care, view care notes, and communicate with care staff.
Alayacare provides some key communication tools for care providers, including secure messaging, care notes and a family portal. These tools enable care staff to communicate with each other freely, document care notes, and share information about clients with other members of the care team.
Log my Care
Log my Care provides messaging, care log, and family portal features as their communication tools. These tools enable care staff to securely send and receive messages, record observations and interventions, and share information with other members of the care team. The family portal allows family members to access information about their loved one's care, improving communication between care staff and family members.
Nourish Care offers communication tools including messaging, care notes, and a family portal. These tools enable care staff to communicate securely, record care notes, and provide updates to family members about their loved one's care. The family portal allows family members to access information about their loved one's care, view care notes, and communicate with care staff, improving transparency and communication.
Cura Systems offers messaging, care notes, and a family portal. These tools enable care staff to communicate securely, document care notes, and share information about clients with other members of the care team.
CarePlanner provides care notes and a family portal as a part of their communication tools, which enables care staff to record care notes, and provide updates to family members about their loved one's care. The family portal allows family members to access information about their loved one's care, view care notes, and communicate with care staff, improving transparency and communication between care staff and family members.
Pssst...Birdie recently partnered with Home Instead! Find out more about how the journey is going here...
How to choose your homecare communication tool?
Choosing the best homecare communication tool for your business can be a daunting task, especially if you’re unfamiliar with the latest technology or concerned about switching over to a new provider. So, here are some key factors to consider that can help you make an informed decision for your business…
- Features: Look for a tool that offers the features you need to manage your specific homecare business effectively. No platform is one-size fits all, so make sure to ask lots of questions when you are on a demo. Consider which features are most important to your business, such as scheduling, care plan management, electronic health records, medication tracking, remote monitoring, and communication tools.
- Ease of use: Choose a tool that is easy to use and navigate, both for your staff and your patients or clients. The tool should be intuitive and user-friendly, with a simple interface and clear instructions. Care professionals need to handle enough in their day-to-day without being faced with complicated software that takes months to learn.
- Integration: Consider whether the tool is able integrate with other software systems you are already using, such as electronic health records or billing software. This can help streamline your workflow and reduce the need for duplicate data entry.
- Security: Ensure that the tool you choose meets all security and privacy regulations and has robust data protection measures in place. Look for tools that use encryption and secure servers to protect sensitive patient data. This webinar has some incredibly useful advice on what to look out for on the security front!
- Customer support: Choose a vendor that provides reliable customer support, including training, technical support, and ongoing updates and maintenance. If your software provider doesn’t offer consistent, readily available support (even if they’re cheaper than other providers!) then this can cause issues further down the road.
- Cost: Consider the cost of the tool and whether it is within your budget. Some tools charge per user or per client, while others have a flat monthly or annual fee. Be sure to factor in any additional costs, such as implementation, training, and maintenance - often a premium provider can appear more expensive, but actually you get more security, onboarding and partnership than you would with a cheaper quick-fix.
By taking all of these factors into account, it becomes easier to select the best homecare communication tool that fits the unique needs of your homecare business.
Your business already delivers great care. With Birdie by your side, you’ll take it to the next level.
Want to see how Birdie works? We think you’ll love it. However, there’s no obligation to buy, no sales pitch and no commitment.
What's new at Birdie: November 2023
This month we launched one of our most highly-requested features, a brand new Message Centre that lets you send real-time updates to your Care Professionals, along with some exciting new Care Management and Finance tools!
Birdie Ranked Number 6 in the list of Fastest Growing Technology Company in the 2023 Deloitte Technology Fast 50 UK
Birdie ranked number 6 in the 2023 Deloitte UK Technology Fast 50, a ranking of the 50 fastest-growing technology companies in the UK. Rankings are based on percentage revenue growth over the last four years. Birdie grew 5435 per cent during this period.
Integrated Messaging for Care Agencies: What is it and its Benefits
Integrated messaging for care agencies emerges as a game-changer, fostering seamless collaboration and information delivery for care teams. This article unravels the essence of integrated messaging, its workings in the context of care, the compelling reasons behind its adoption, and the substantial benefits it bestows upon care teams. Additionally, a spotlight will be cast on one of the leading care management systems equipped with an integrated messaging tool: Birdie.
Let us show you how birdie can help
You're the expert. You deserve home healthcare technology that motivates your team and helps you grow.