Do you know what to look out for during an interview with a potential new care professional?
If you're hiring care professionals to join your care business, it's very important to make sure you ask the right questions and get the right answers. Here are some tip 'red flags' and 'green flags' to look out for during the interview stage, to help prevent you from choosing a candidate who may not fit well for your business.
- A willingness to learn new skills
- A long-term growth plan for their role at the business
- Demonstrating a more than surface level knowledge of the business
- Showcasing passion and excitement towards the position
- Transparency about past failures and how they’ve learned from them
- Familiarity with technology and software systems
- Clear, concise answers to your questions
- A polite, engaged and friendly tone
- A knowledge of current industry practices or recent changes
- Asking questions or making statements that align to your businesses key values
- A complete lack of preparation, including having a basic knowledge about the business or role
- Avoiding any acknowledgement of weaknesses
- Avoiding any responsibility at all for mistakes
- Evading or not properly answering interview questions, even if the question is rephrased
- Not having any questions for the interviewer OR asking questions that are already clearly answered by the job post or website
- A history of joining then leaving jobs within 4 months
- Not having any familiarity with technology or software
- Forgetting what has been asked or requiring frequent repetition of questions
- Gossiping about former colleagues or employers
- Unexplained big gaps or inconsistencies on their resume
When candidate numbers are low, it may be tempting to hire someone even if they have a number of red flags. However, a candidate who isn’t right for the role or the business will lead to potential additional financial costs, increased workload for other team members, low moral, negative reviews, reduced credibility and more.
How birdie can help
birdie equips care providers with the essential digital tools they need to manage, grow and succeed in delivering outstanding care. birdie’s digital technology is intuitive to use, and comes with a full academy and 24hr support to get up-and-running quickly. If you hire a candidate with any software experience at all, the chances are they will be delivering outstanding care even faster - vastly reducing onboarding time, and the risk of them churning.
Want to try birdie for your business? Hit the demo button below.
We think you’ll love it. However, there’s no obligation to buy, no sales pitch and no commitment.
See if it suits you!
Top 8 best online medication record systems
Discover some of the best medication record systems available for your domiciliary care business, as well as some tips on how to choose the right one for you.
Let us show you how birdie can help
You're the expert. You deserve home healthcare technology that motivates your team and helps you grow.